Amid growing tension in the Korean peninsula, China proposed on Wednesday that North Korea could suspend its nuclear and missile activities in exchange for a halt of the military drills held by the US and South Korea. This could be a first step to prevent a “head-on collision,” Foreign Minister Wang Yi said.
“The two sides are like two accelerating trains coming toward each other with neither side willing to give way,” Wang told reporters. “Our priority now is to flash the red light and apply the brakes on both trains.”
“This ‘suspension for suspension’ can help us break out of the security dilemma and bring the parties back to the negotiating table,” he said.
Pyongyang shot four ballistic missiles towards US bases stationed in Japan on Monday, with all four hitting the ocean, three close to the coast in exclusively Japanese held waters.
Last week, Seoul and Washington began their annual joint military exercises. While the two countries see these drills as purely defensive, North Korea views them as a provocation and a preparation for a war against the country…
Read more : Deutsche Welle, 08.03.2017